Thursday, February 14, 2008

"And now I get my fortunes told for free"

I've just started listening to the Robert Plant and Alison Krauss album "Raising Sand". It isn't bluegrass. And it isn't blues-rock. More like desert balladry. It reminds me a lot of Howe Gelb and Lisa Germano on the OP8 "Slush" album from 1997. It's only my first listen or so to Plant & Krauss but I'm not sure it will find a permanent place in the Archive.

But one song did stand out: their cover of the Allen Toussaint song "Fortune Teller".

Now I don't believe in seasonal postings. But let's make an exception and link this to Valentine's Day.

Several years ago now Mrs A and myself walked down the aisle after tying the knot to Benny Spellman singing "Fortune Teller". It was a register office naturally with us being atheists - and we don't have "our song" but this song was just too perfect not to be played. There are several versions about (notably The Who on Live From Leeds 1974) but nothing has topped the original Benny Spellman one to my mind. But the Plant & Krauss does come close.

So Happy Valentines Day Mrs A. I know it's only a blog post. But it's more than you got last year.

FORTUNE TELLER
Robert Plant & Alison Krauss
Raising Sand[BUY]

FORTUNE TELLER
Benny Spellman
Fortune Teller [BUY]

No comments: