Thursday, July 02, 2009

TONIGHT IN MANCHESTER: Meursault vs Kraftwerk!



I was going to write about the Manchester International Festival which starts today. But with the huge PR coverage they will get, they don’t need me right? And several events like tonight's opening concert - Kraftwerk and Steve Reich at Manchester Velodrome - are already sold out. Instead I think I should focus my attention elsewhere.

So yes in Manchester tonight (if you are lucky enough to have tickets) you could see the godfathers of electronic music, one of the most influential bands of all time, play a sports stadium. But wouldn't you rather be in a bar in Withington seeing hotly-tipped Edinburgh band Meursault with their "thunderclap drums, banjo snarls and general sense of the devil's own revelry" (so say Plan B)?

I think I know where I would rather be and that's not just because I was not quick enough to get a Kraftwerk ticket.

The Meursault album "Pissing on Bonfires/Kissing With Tongues" came out in December last year on Song by Toad Records and it's jaw-droppingly good. A lo-fi Arcade Fire nurtured by Fence Records would be my crass contribution to the list of musical comparisons hurled their way. This is (possibly) their third visit to Manchester and I've missed them all thus far. So I can't tell you with authority what they are like live but give the music a listen and play the video of the acoustic session. And then tell me which four piece you would rather see tonight.

Meursault are at Fuel with support from God's Little Eskimo and Butler-Williams. And if you needed any more persuading: it's free.


Meursault - The Furnace (Toad Session) from Song, by Toad on Vimeo.

PISSING ON BONFIRES/KISSING WITH TONGUES
SALT PART 2
Meursault
Pissing on Bonfires/Kissing with Tongues [BUY]

THE HALL OF MIRRORS
Kraftwerk
Trans-Europe Express [BUY]

Coming next: Forget Elbow and the Halle Orchestra - go and see Jackie-O-Motherfucker.

No comments: