Tuesday, September 22, 2009

TONIGHT IN MANCHESTER: Times New Viking

As I write there are still some tickets left for this gig at The Corner in Withington - but I wouldn’t hang about. It’s a terrific (and terrificly noisy) line-up. As well as the exceptional Times New Viking from Columbus, Ohio there is great local support on the bill in the shape of Mazes and Young British Artists (I'm not familiar with the fourth band Lovvers or where they hail from).

Four bands of this calibre for £7.50 is pretty impressive. Especially since Times New Viking have have just released their fouth album “Born Again Revisted” which elsewhere I described as one of the underground albums of the year. It’s not for the faint-hearted though . The three-piece play heavily distorted 60s garage colliding with noisy art-rock and shot through with a dash of pop sensibility (but it's buried quite deep beneath the distortion). It is thrilling. And loud. And distorted. As they say: act now to avoid disappointment. I can’t quite believe I’m not going to be there.

And did I mention the distortion?




NO TIME, NO HOPE
CITY ON DRUGS
Times New Viking
Born Again Revisited [BUY]

No comments: